Sleep is much essential part of our life. Adequate sleep is necessary for good physical and mental health. But now a days lack of sleep has become a dangerous trend. Many people are struggling to get a good sleep. Deficiency of good sleep is making the life stressful. Stress is one of the commonest cause for sleeplessness. The cycle goes on.
Our body follows a sleep routine. In medical language it’s called circadian rhythm. Our internal clock makes it easy for us to go to sleep at an apparently fixed time everyday. Some diseases and changes in life style reset the clock. It leads to sleeplessness. (Necessity of sleep)
But for better sleep we need to maintain a good sleep hygiene. Most of the sleeplessness can be cured by good sleep hygiene. It’s the first and foremost treatment of any type of sleeplessness. It’s also helpful for a better quality of sleep. So good sleep hygiene is a big necessity to everyone.
What is sleep hygiene (sleep hygiene definition)
Sleep hygiene is a variety of different practices and habits that are necessary to have good night time sleep quality and full daytime alertness.
Why it is important to have a better sleep hygiene?
For a better brain function we need good sleep. Without a good sleep hygiene we may have inadequate sleep. It leads to irritability, fatigue, bad mental health etc. It helps in both in good quality and quantity of sleep.
Sleep hygiene tips
–Keep a regular sleep/wake schedule (like a diary), including weekends.
– Avoid caffeinated beverages after lunch (minimum before 8 hours of sleep).
– Avoid tobacco compounds, especially in the evening.
– Avoid alcohol in the evening and bedtime.
– Restrict sleep to amount needed to feel rested.
– Adjust bedroom environment. Keep room dark.
– Do not engage in planning the next day’s activities at bedtime.
– Exercise regularly for about 20–30 minutes.
– Foods high in tryptophan and melatonin precursors may have some efficacy (including cherry juice).
– Avoid use of the computer, Phones, tabs, TV and other light emitting devices at sleep.
– Go to bed only when sleepy.
– Get out of bed if unable to fall asleep within 20 minutes and go to another room and either read something with low intensity light or listen to some light relaxing music. Return to bed only when sleepy. Repeat this step as many times as necessary throughout the night.
– Do not watch television, read, eat, worry, or stay awake while in bed.
– Set an alarm clock to wake up at a fixed time each morning, including weekends.
– Do not take a nap during the day.
Maintaining sleep hygiene is not difficult. It’s needful for everyone. It provides us good and healthy sleep both in quantity and quality. So make a sleep hygiene checklist. It will definitely solve all your sleep related problems.
Please read and share
Some common questions
– what are sleep hygiene techniques: please read above article
– sleep hygiene can help: yes most of sleep problems can be solved by it
– sleep hygiene do’s and don’ts: see above articles
– does sleep hygiene work: definitely
– what does good sleep hygiene mean: please read the above article
– how does sleep hygiene work: helps in induction and prolongation of quality sleep
– how to improve sleep hygiene: several ways mentioned in above article
– how to maintain sleep hygiene: decrease screen time and keep a good dark room for sleep
– how to practice sleep hygiene: please read the article
1: Chokroverty S, editor. Sleep disorders medicine: Basic science, technical considerations and clinical aspects. Springer; 2017 May 2.